I led the complete end to end redesign initiative for a key Genetic report for our Psychiatric user group. For the redesign effort I started off by finding the gaps in the current report (Designed in 2018). I created assets and co-facilitated a focus group of 10 physicians along with the Senior PM.
I also worked with the Design System team and contributed assets to the Tempus component library.
The report in circulation was designed and built 2019 as a part of a quick pilot experiment to see if the business model worked. And it did! After being used in the real world, this lean iteration of this report was getting slack for being too pedantic, not clinically actionable and text not legible. This lead to an increase in support calls to our Medical Liaison Team (MSLs) to help our users understand the report. We also saw a drop in orders because our users chose our competitors reports better.
The report was too pedantic, not clinically actionable and had legibility issues.
I introduced 2 new segments to the existing report. One was used to educate the users on the science behind pharmacogenomics. The other report looks at the results in a more summarized manner, which makes it more actionable and improves its skimmability. Additionally, I introduced a new type hierarchy to improve legibility across the entire report.
Introducing new segments to the report structure which educates the users and also looks at results in a more summarized manner.
⚡ Take me to Final Design⚡
Found a 136% increase in re-order rate.This saw a 35% increase in total revenue. These two metrics provided a good indicator of the success of the report.
Although not measured we also saw a significant decrease in support calls to the MSL (Medical Science Liaison team)
There were 4 Research methods I used to understand the gaps with the current report.
Problem validation through In-App survey: Although we did hear rumblings about issues within the Report from our CS team, we wanted to directly hear from our customers. We did this to identify the extent of the problem. For this purpose, I published an in-app targeted survey to our users using Pendo. Our hypothesis was proved and these were the top 3 concerns regarding the report.
Qualitative study with a Focus group: We set up a Clinician Advisory board to identify issues which were of main concern to them. The advisory board consisted of people with varying knowledge in Genetics. This session was useful to identify a journey map to understand how users travel through our report.
Scenario map to empathize with users: There are 2 ways the users journey through the report. First, if they need to understand why a drug wasn't working out for the patient. Second, to find an appropriate drug for the patient.
High Level Audit: I went over the existing report to identify areas of improvement.
Report is too Pedantic
The results were heavily in genealogical jargon, resulting in support calls to MSL(Medical Science Liaison) team explaining results to our clinicians
Report is not Actionable
Report was very abstract and theoretical, like a research paper in many ways. It did not have any clinical relevance.
Report is not skimmable
It is hard for a clinician to find drugs of their choice.
Report is not legible
Report has a type heirarchy that is smaller, affecting how they look when printed
Using the Scenario map to identify gaps in the report
Coming out of the CAB meeting I made a scenario map to identify how our users might journey through a report. We used this to ideate around the type of experience we wanted to provide for our users.
We decided on adding 2 report to the current structure:
1. An educational material to understand the results. This report is specifically anchored around Genes, their Phenotype and Interpretations.
2. A drug summary that is rooted in results and easy to peruse.
Evolution of the New Drug summary Report
The Drug Summary Report is one the most important segments within the report. It helps the clinician to peruse their results quickly and make actionable decisions.
I began by first dividing and sub dividing the drugs based on their groups (SSRI, SNRI, Antipsychotics Generation-1 etc). I then bucketed them into their respective results category (Standard Administration, Dose up, Dose Down)
Cover Page Design
Use Branding to elevate the product
Since Tempus already has an established brand language I used that in the cover page to enhance the visual appeal and stand out from the rest of the reports in the market.
Improved Type hierarchy and UI
I increased all font sizes up by 2px to make it more legible. I also changed the symbols and made them larger for better visibility.
Section-1: Genotype and Phenotype ✨New✨
Supplemental Report that drives Genetic education
The Genotype and Phenotype report is introduced, which acts as a educational material to understand the "What"
Section-2: Drug Summary ✨New✨
A Report rooted around results making it actionable and skim-able
Adding a new "Drug Summary" Report that is rooted around results enables our clinicians to take quick decisions by process of elimination. By categorizing them into 3 broad sections helps with skimmability of the report too.